Sunday, August 3, 2014

Hey! Where did the sun go? - Day 8

Last day at Sea... in the fog?

This morning it was clear and beautiful. But about an hour later is was soooo foggy... you can barely see. The ship is actively using its fog horn.

Can't see the coastline :(
foggy day
But we have a day full of activities and the cruise director says it's temporary... and he has been right on the weather all week so far.
It turned out to be a full day. Our lady spent most of the day in the kids club, soaking up every bit of fun they could throw at her. It all then was put on stage for a show the clubs do the last night for parents. It was fun to see all the kids on stage clapping and dancing with Mickey and Minnie.

Our young man did one activity in the club this morning, then hung out with me or Dad the rest of the day. Enjoying the last day at sea in a much mellower way.
Hubby and I had a meal on our own.... shocking and very rare for us. We had brunch at Palo on the ship. With the kids at the clubs for a bit we dined like grown-ups and loved it. The food at Palo is decadent and the service matches. We prefer the brunch to the dinner there, so this was perfect.
Hubby also has a chance to return to the Rainforest Room on board and I had the chance to take a nap... not a bad vacation :)
The evening provided us with a bit of a challenge.

(This may be a bit TMI, so forgive me and skip to the closing if you like)
Our young man is high functioning autistic. He sees the world very black and white. And he is horrible at reading his body and communicating his needs :(
Our little family has an unfortunate tradition on every vacation... he throws up. It usually only happens once each trip. Its not a bug, virus or food poisoning. It is the combination of him eating too much and carrying his stress/excitement in his tummy.
Well, apparently Hubby was thinking just yesterday that we were going to make it through a whole vacation without this grand tradition happening... darn him for not knocking on wood ;)
Tonight at the big stage show... right during the introduction, after we had waited in our seats for 25 minutes for it to start... it happened :(
Poor kid. And poor hubby, who was in the thick of it, shall we say.
We extracted ourselves as best we could from the row... thank you to the family who gave me the baby wipes. And took our boy up to the room.
Whew... but that wasn't all... the poor kid was sooooo upset to miss the show. He was crying... and pleading with hubby to stay. This is the black and white part, his plan was to watch the show in the theater... nothing could bend this.
I had gathered help from cast members to get us out with as little disruption as possible, and they "encouraged" us to watch the show on the TV in our stateroom... as opposed to coming back. Ships don't take tummy issues lightly.
So we could still see it, but the venue would be different. Sigh - the physical clean up took way less time than the emotional. We all survived :)
There seems to always be one family that has some crazy thing happen.... today was our turn.
And the tradition lives on.
He is fine, as he always is. Still a bit sad about not seeing the show in the theater, but hoping to do things differently "next cruise"... oh please, lets do that differently ;)
He has decided that, that was the worst place to get sick...  it's so nice I can laugh about this.

- Ok, its safe to come back to the conversation if you were staying away for TMI :)
We ended the evening in our room, watching the coastline and the half moon. Our weather has been amazing.. I think I said that a few times this week. And we have LOVED the balcony stateroom.
We are already back in Canadian waters and should be back into Vancouver around 7:00. We need to be at breakfast at 7:00 and out of our staterooms by 8:30... the process here is a bit different than in Port Canaveral. We will see how it all goes in the morning. The kids are already asleep... sounds like a grand idea.

Last sunset from our balcony
Great moon 

No comments:

Post a Comment